Identifying and preventing water damage is the key to keeping your house safe, sturdy and looking great. So it is important to know how to identify a problem and how to prevent future problems from happening. It is a lot easier than you may think.
This article from WaterDamageMoldCleanup.com explains everything you need to know about Water damage signs and prevention.
One of the biggest things to look for are water stains. These are easy to spot and easy to repair so they should be dealt with fairly quickly. What is more important is finding the source of the water stain. This small problem could become a major inconvenience if ignored.
Water Damage Signs To Look For In Your House
• A water stain on the ceiling may point to a roof leak, however if you have water pipes in the attic these may be the issue.
• Your drywall can also have signs of damage. Flaking, a swollen effect, soft to the touch and a discolored yellowing are all possibilities.
• Water stains in the bottom of your cabinets can be a product of a leak in your sink pipes and buckles in the hard wood floor can be a result of water leaking from an appliance’s pipes.
Once you have identified the source of the problem, it is time to go into prevention mode.
Water Damage Prevention
• When attempting to prevent damage from water there are many precautions you can make. Be certain that the doors and windows in the home are properly installed with no openings around them for moisture to get in.
• The roof should be maintained on a regular basis. Cleaning the gutters, replacing broken or old shingles and keeping low hanging branches trimmed away will help to prevent water getting in.
• Plan an inspection of the pipes inside your home and check and clean all appliances. This not only helps to prevent any future damage but will help everything run more efficiently.
• Make sure your bathtub, shower, sinks, and toilet all are draining they way they should be. Check to see if there are any leaks around faucets and toilet rings.
• In order to be certain that your house is being protected from water damage make a schedule of weekly checks that you can perform. In the long run it will save you money and time because water damage cleanup is not cheap and definitely not fun.
If you have any questions, contact Advance Mold Remediation by calling 1-877-411-MOLD or click here today!